Thursday 8 August 2013

Of Ridgback dogs and other fancy things...

Today I am visiting my cousin Lil on her dairy farm - 13 acres in the middle of suburban Karen (the area that used to be the farm of Karen Blixen of  'Out of Africa' fame). Even people who have lived here for years are amazed when they hear that there is still such a farm in what is fast becoming a suburb of 1/4 acre plots.
Anyway, I have to think carefully about what to wear today. Something acceptable in the office but also for going to a farm. Now this is not because I am going to be trapsing around in mud and cow sheds. The cause of my dilemma is seven, Yes 7, Ridgebacks who I know, from years of exprience, will greet the car and myself as if they have no seen us for a millenium! So, canvas knee length skirt (thick enough to resist those claws) and boots, finished off with my New Zealand possum fur cardigan just to dress it up abit.
I don't visit as often as I should since moving out to Jim's place. It is not 'on the way' as I don't even go into Karen shopping as much since moving post office boxes and banking closer to work and as you can imagine an unannounced visit can cause mayhem.
Lil's first generation of Ridgebacks were quite grown up when I first met them and she used to bring them in the old Range Rover to met me at the airport. They used to cause a stir at the taxi stop at the arrivals terminal when they jumped down and had to be rounded up.

This current generation and I go way back to when their mother was pregnant. They were born a few days before I came down for a break from working in Darfur. Eight tiny dark furred, blind squirmy bundles and a very proud mother greeted me. Lil had already given them names to suit, some which have stuck others have not. Four went off to other families and four decided they would rather stay at home! From when they were about 6 months old I was living at the farm and then visiting several times a week and going to obedience school (the jury is still out on how effective years of training has been). It doesnot matter how long I am away for they always remember me and get so excited. I have been face-to-face with them through the windscreen when, in the frustration of not being able to get in the door they jump on the bonnet of the car.
This visit today though has been well planned and as I drive in Lil is in control with a stick. I hurridly try to wind up the window but not before Hera has her nose and paws well inside. She has always been my favourite and we are best friends. She is not the smartest of the bunch but loves being loved and is so gentle with my cousin's Sam's children when they come to visit.
Once I do get the window up and Lil is back in control I remove my cardigan, just in case! Lil spots my tights but I assure her they are old and will be covered by the skirt. SO the door opens and I am engulfed, with lovely dirty paws and slobbery kisses until a few minutes later they calm down. I am covered in mud and my hair is all over the place but who could be cross at such a greeting full of joy! Jim's pick up has suffered not just a few scratches which I will have to try and polish off before he sees them.
The reason for my visit is to pick up pot plants that Lil has been baby sitting for me between houses. We finally manage to get them into the back of the pick up and go inside for a cup of tea and catchup.
Darney, their mother has gone, and they are starting to get grey around the muzzles at nearly 8 years old. They have excelled at our local Kennel Club shows (with international judges) despite their behaviour at home. They have been joined by their off-spring and hopefully will be around for many years yet to cover me in kisses and mud!   


Morning greeting through the bedroom window

A dangerous tail in action in the sitting room

Resting after an exhausting greeting

Darney resting in the shade whilst Lil and Jim do preflight preparation before she joins us on a flight to the coast

New puppies

No comments:

Post a Comment