Friday 6 September 2013

Strong Women, Strong Babies, Strong Culture - 20 years young!


Back in 1996, after returning from my first trip to Africa with just $50 in my pocket, I decided to try a bit of ‘bush’ nursing. Within a week of making a phone call I found myself in the middle of Western Australia - Alice Springs was 1000 km in one direction and Kalgoorlie was 990km in the other – with 400 Aboriginals and a handful of whites who were obviously just as mad as me to want to live in the middle of nowhere with a long dirt road or the weekly plane offering the only escape route! Cath Josif, whom I met on my first day, remains a very dear friend, we have worked together in different locations over the years and have regular face book chats even 1000’s of kilometers apart.

This was Warburton, just off the Gun Barrel, which if you are a Midnight Oil fan you will be familiar with from their Blue Sky Mine album (they did visit and play at the school during one tour). It was the largest settlement for hundreds of miles!

I ensconced myself in the ‘baby clinic’ as, up to then, the only adults I had ever looked after were pregnant women.
A lot of my time was spent talking to mothers about infant and child nutrition. I had a television and a collection of videos, some I found in the clinic and several that a friend in Darwin had sent me. There were two that we loved and played over and over. One, at least 10 years old, featured an old man from a community way up on the coast of Northern Territory. His name was Dick Yumbal and he talked for hours about his traditional bush farming and his ‘numbers and numbers of watermelons’.
The other video was about an amazing group of Aboriginal women, again in the north of NT, who had come together to work with the young mothers in their communities in an effort to improve antenatal and infant nutrition and health. They had put together a program taking the best of traditional knowledge and ways but also taking into account scientifically proven ideas relating to pregnancy, child birth and infant care. The program was called ‘Strong Women, Strong Babies, Strong Culture’. We watched the video so many times we did not need to have the sound turned up, we knew it off by heart!

January 1999, I found myself in Darwin. Again, after a few phone calls, within days I was on my way out to a small island called Milingimbi for a 3 month contract…………………I finally left 5 years later.
A larger population, just over 1000 at the time, on a tropical island with the sea literally lapping at the clinic door, it could not have been more different to my WA desert experience.

I walked into the clinic for my first morning of work and, there they are! I am face to face with at least three women from the video I have been watching everyday for years! It is weird, I feel as if I know them so well.
As I spent a lot of time again in the baby clinic (0-5 years) I worked closely with the Strong Women over the next 5 years and developed an enormous respect for them and the program as well as wonderful friendships including their District Coordinator, Marlene, who would come every month or so to visit. They were and still are so dedicated to their community and culture.

I also eventually met Dick Yumbal. I was sent across to the mainland to Ramingining, for a few weeks and he was still growing his numbers and numbers of watermelons and was quite pleased he was famous in the Western Australian desert.

The SWSBSC Program has been through many ups and downs over the years. It started as an independent program and then had to adjust to being part of the Department of Health. My opinion on this move has wavered over the years. In some ways it made things easier for the women, being part of the health team in each community, however, in many ways it greatly reduced their autonomy over the way they ran the program and also having to deal with the beaurocracy of a government department was a massive learning curve which changed some vital aspects of the program.
I was very closely involved with the women during this time.

On a visit home, I called into the office of my friend Karen. Of course I was always ready to consider any short term work that might be on offer. She took full advantage of my situation and I returned to Kenya to pack up my house and my cat and returned to Darwin for 18 months as the Project Officer working on bringing the recent evaluation recommendations for the SWSBSC Program and the Community Child Health Worker Program (which I had set up 5 years earlier) to some sort of fruition.
It was in fact my dream come true, the ultimate peak of my career! To be working directly with Marlene, Barbara and the ladies in the program. It was also a very challenging time. Trying to fulfill my contract commitments whilst remaining true to the original objectives and vision of the program. The reality being the program had survived so far on their own and although there had been ups and downs the women knew exactly the direction they wanted to take and how to get there. Sometimes we have to step back and admit that our terribly organised, professional ways are not the most suitable in all situations. There are times when traditional, less obvious methods and approaches, may take longer to meet the goal but they are more appropriate.
Of course the best part of the job for me was traveling out to the communities and spending time with the SWSBSC workers during their working day. I also wanted to get as much recognition as possible for the women and their work. There were still people in the department who did not know really what the SWSBC role was. We started a news letter, featuring different workers each issue, the work they were doing, any special events and updates on the program. By the end of my time we had a mailing list of over 250 people all over the country.

Last week I received an email from Marlene. It was sent to a group of us who have been connected with the program over the years. The program is 20 years old and the women had been invited to parliament house as part of the celebrations. Very few of the original women are still alive. But the fact that we are celebrating 20 years shows the firm foundation on which they originally built has survived the test of time. The program remains ‘owned’ by the women and the families that they work with and has outlived many other attempts at health education style programs. The positive effects and results of their work have been written up in nutritional and medical journals; they have been invited to speak at conferences across the world; and they have been invited to communities across Australia and Asia to introduce the ideas of the program to other indigenous women’s groups.       

Every so often I toy with the idea of bringing Marlene and some of the women to Kenya and introducing them to different communities I have worked with over the years. The problems faced here and the political and social situation are very different but I guess one objective that would be achieved would be giving the women in villages here the opportunity to see that if you have the belief and determination to change problems being faced by your community, it can be done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=DTI7Agc8HPs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wz7P2sKPkjI

 
These links should take you to 2 You tube videos that were made by Deadly TV.

 
Everyone in Darwin for a week of orrientation to the health department

 
Marmalade campaigning outside the local store, Tiwi Islands

Nutrition education, Milingimbi style.

    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment