Monday 22 July 2013

The Toyota Matatu

Coming out of the drive this morning, rather later than usual I might add, I turned right rather than the expected left. Turning right is not a regular occurance but sometimes necessary, in order to tackle the traffic and join civilisation when shopping and banking need to be attended. This morning I am opening and closing bank accounts, for which I have had to take time off work. These are all day events in Africa.
The more usual left hand turn out the drive takes me along the 3-4 kms of our road to the park gate. The road is bad by anybodies standards but worse if you happen to have to walk to work and be subject to the dust storms caused by passing traffic. There are three businesses along the road and every morning the employees have to leave their mini buses (matatus) at the barrier and walk up to 5 kms into work. They are a regular crowd and after a year of doing the drive, familiar faces. Some like to walk, others are only too keen to jump in the back of the pickup and wave at their friends as the pass by. I do not stop automatically, but wait for the questioning flick of a hand 'going my way?' After all, I am not a scheduled bus service! Some days, if I time things correctly, I can have up to 10 people in the back. My mind wanders as I drive enjoying the view and day dreaming (often about what I am going to put in the blog, that day). I am jolted out of my dream by shouting and banging on the cabin roof as I nearly sail past drop off point. As everyone jumps down laughing, there are shouts of 'Asante sana madam', 'thankyou', 'good day'.
The afternoon journey is much more subdued. It has been a long day (many of them start their day at 0400 in order to get to work) and we are all hot and tired. The ride finishes at our front gate often with Shampain and Tarbu running out to see what all the fuss is about. I am home but they still have 30 minutes walk and a mini bus matatu ride home, but at least I know that the Toyota matatu has made their journey slightly easier.... and it makes me feel good to be part of our community.     

No comments:

Post a Comment