Monday 29 July 2013

Jumping out of Planes

It is a gloomy day. I have been waiting for a cheerful thought to emerge and develop into a story but, it is after 3 in the afternoon and it is not happening, so here it goes -
It is not just the weather that is gloomy, but also the mood that hangs over Wilson Airport. Our friend Harro was killed whilst flying his plane back from Samburu on Thursday afternoon. We knew the plane had gone missing but there was no confirmation until they found the wreck on Saturday evening in the mountains  - flying, bad weather and mountains do not mix well, even for the most experienced of pilots.
Someone asked me this morning how well did I know him. My answer brings back some happy memories. He was there for my first (and last) sky dive. He was instrumental in organising the annual event at Diani Beach. My cousin Lil had jumped the year before and was keen for me to give it a go so we made plans with our friend Mike (who is a very keen jumper) to go. Harro was very encouraging and reassuring to this novice jumper, who may have looked confident, but inside was a bucket of jelly!
There was about 20 people in the plane with us. Mike offered to jump out after me so he could take photos. They always leave the tandums until last, just incase someone bales out I suppose. At 15,000feet  I am hanging out of the plane, held by nothing but the harness to the chest of an instructor (a bit like being in one of those baby carriers, I imagine).............and we tumble out. I can hear my self screaming, I dont know which way is up. And then I see Mike. A bright blue blob floating towards me and I calm down, I have something to focus on and I start to enjoy the sensation and the view. As the parachute goes out, there is an upward rush and then we are floating gentle towards the beach. Looking one way I can see all the way into Tanzania, the other other way looks into Somalia and straight down is the amazing green blue Indian Ocean with the coral reefs stretching forever.
Landing is a jolt back to reality but the adrenaline is still running..and Harro is there 'Well done, did you enjoy it? ready to go again?' I think not, it was great but once is enough. That first few seconds of disorrientated falling is not something I want to experience again. I have ticked 'sky diving' off my list. Thank you, Harro.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment