Monday 12 January 2015

Escaping from the rush of everyday life


SLAP! SLAP! SLAP! A dull monotonous sound although it shatters the peaceful quiet of the Saeed Book Bank as I push open the heavy glass doors and enter my idea of heaven – 3 storeys of books waiting to be discovered!
 
SLAP! SLAP! SLAP! As I peer up the nearest aisle I catch sight of flying feathers. The attendants are carrying out their morning ritual. Sweeping away the fine layer of dust that has settled during the night on the shelves and thousands of volumes.

This is my first visit and I am initially overwhelmed, but quickly logic kicks in and I turn left into the first aisle, planning to weave my way around one side of the room.

I find myself surrounded by the glossy covers, of what are commonly known as coffee table books – textiles, jewelery, pashmina and shawls; architecture, geography, people, cities and countryside; Pakistan, China, Nepal, Afghanistan and India – it is all here. Luckily many are wrapped in protective plastic so my selection for browsing is limited. I settle myself on the floor and pull out a couple of volumes and for the next 20 minutes or so I am immersed in the peoples, culture and history of this fascinating region.

SLAP! SLAP! SLAP! – I am suddenly aware that the duster has entered my aisle and is standing over me. Not that he is concerned with me sitting and reading. I have always thought that the sign of a really good book shop is when the staff are happy for customers to read and appreciate the books rather than rushing in and grabbing the first thing that comes to hand. Books are like people – when time is taken to choose wisely, they are friends for life.

I realise that I am actually holding up the proceedings so with a history of the paisley shawl clutched tightly, I move on.

Travel guides and how to look after a wide variety of pets from goldfish to horses and on the other side ring binders and an assortment of stationary items (I slot this away in the memory for future reference). The wide variety of international magazines is tempting but not in today’s budget. Interesting to note Pakistan does have its’ own edition of ‘Hello’; this week is the bridal issue and it weighs over 1 kg!!!!

The back wall is lined with reference titles ‘The History of Islam’; ‘Understanding Islam’; ‘Women in Islam’ and editions of the Koran in Arabic and English. I linger here; Our Western perception of Islam and the peoples that live by the teachings of the Koran are so influenced by what we see on news bulletins and read in the papers. But the people I have met in the past few weeks, the friends I have made who have welcomed me to their country, are so far from the public picture of fanatics that I need to read and have my own understanding. I add a few books to my pile.

Pakistan is only 67 years old as a country but the number of titles on the next shelf would do a country 4 times that age, proud. The short but tumultuous history has been documented in minute detail.

‘Taliban, Jihad and Terrorism’ announces the sign hanging above the next aisle – not sure I really need to spend time here, tempting as it may be to see exactly how one writes about these subjects! Surprisingly, at the end there are two boys sorting through Christmas decorations – electric tree lights, shiny glass balls, tinsel, glittery stars and a memory from my childhood – multi-coloured tissue paper bells The ones that you have to fold back on themselves and secure with a paper clip. I make notes for future purchase.

I am just heading  to the novels and paperbacks, having spied two whole shelves of P.G. Wodehouse when my phone rings. It is Helle. She is coming to pick me up to go out to lunch. The next 2 floors of the shop are going to have to wait for another weekend. I sort through the books I have accumulated and choose 4 – History of the Paisley Shawl, Birds of Pakistan, A memoir of Kashmir and Women in Islam – they are packaged up, I hand over 4,500 Rupees (about $40), and reach the door just in time to see Helle pulling into the car park.

‘You must have known’ I say to her, ‘the next aisle was the cook books, you would never have got me out!’

 

No comments:

Post a Comment